Edouard Vuillard Galleries
Jean-Edouard Vuillard, the son of a retired captain, spent his youth at Cuiseaux (Saone-et-Loire); in 1878 his family moved to Paris in modest circumstances. After his father\'s death, in 1884, Vuillard received a scholarship to continue his education. In the Lycee Condorcet Vuillard met Ker Xavier Roussel (also a future painter and Vuillard\'s future brother in law), Maurice Denis, musician Pierre Hermant, writer Pierre Veber and Lugne-Poe. On Roussel\'s advice he refused a military career and entered the Ecole des Beaux-Arts, where he met Pierre Bonnard.
In 1885, Vuillard left the Lycee Condorcet and joined his closest friend Roussel at the studio of painter Diogene Maillart. There, Roussel and Vuillard received the rudiments of artistic training. Related Paintings of Edouard Vuillard :. | The last visit Vern memorial | Tuileries | Mrs. Henry portrait | Annette soup | Talk |
Related Artists:Edwin long,R.A.
.English painter. He was taught by John 'Spanish' Phillip and began his career painting portraits and Spanish subjects, such as Dialogus diversus (1873; priv. col., see Quick, p. 10). However, he became successful and rich with very large historical and biblical subjects such as the Babylonian Marriage Market (1875; Egham, U. London, Royal Holloway & Bedford New Coll.), which changed hands in his lifetime for immense sums. His choice of subject-matter was indebted to the example of Sir Lawrence Alma-Tadema, while his style closely resembles that of Edward Armitage. His success enabled him to commission two houses (1878 and 1887), both in Hampstead, from Richard Norman Shaw. He was elected ARA in 1876 and RA in 1881. Jean-Louis Hamon
Plouha 1821 - Saint - Raphael, 1874.
French Academic Painter, 1821-1874.
Studied under Charles Gleyre.
French Academic Painter, 1821-1874. Studied under Charles Gleyre. French painter and designer. He was encouraged to practise drawing by the Brothers of the Christian Doctrine at Lannion. Through the intervention of Felicite-Robert de Lamennais (1782-1854), he was made drawing-master at a religious seminary at Ploermel, Brittany, although at this stage he had received no instruction and had never seen an oil painting. In 1840 he asked his conseil general for help and left for Paris the following year with a grant of 500 francs. He went to Delaroche's studio, where he made friends with Picou, Jean-Leon Gereme, Jean Aubert (1824-1906) and Jean Eugene Damery (1823-53). Charles Gleyre, who took over Delaroche's studio in 1843, encouraged and protected him during years of poverty. J.F. Hockert